Wednesday, September 24, 2014

GUT REACTION REVIEW: Hana Taka Daka!?

GUT REACTION REVIEW: Hana Taka Daka!?

Genre: Shoot 'em up
Company: Taito
Platform: PC Engine

By: Chris "Sledge" Douglas

An anthropomorphized fox gets slammed against a wall.  A female of the species looks on, seemingly concerned.  It seemed like furry bait at first, and if that's all it was, it would have me a bit worried.



However, that worry was unfounded.  While Hanataakadaka is a cute 'em up by design, it was actually pretty fun. But it's VERY Japanese.  Creatures like the Tanooki and Kappa run rampant, and you have to fly your... kabuki... clown... robot gimmick (umm actually it's supposed to be a tengu - ed.) and shoot all manner of cartoony livin' thin's. If this is not your kind of thing, then back away, man.  BACK AWAY!

Power ups increase your size or improve your gunfire spread.  Although I was not able to get past the first level, the enemies range from chickens and other birds, to people to even the aforementioned kappa.  What's a kappa?

Only the mascot of my favorite eatin' spot:



Also it's a mythical Japanese creature, or a youkai, if that's your thing.

I was pleny surprised at how well it introduced me into its mechanics, even at medium difficulty.   The first stage was easy enough to give me a taste of the controls without doing the usual PC Engine shmup tactic of just throwing everything at you at once.  The first level even had a maze like structure to it, adding the extra challenge of not just having to avoid enemies but also decide where you need to go.

As I reached the end of the first level, as I shot at kappa after kappa (feeling guilty all the way), I came across a familiar structure in the background.  And then, I saw the first boss.



That's Abby.  Abdullah the Butcher.

Yes, pro-wrestling supahstah and WWE Hall of Famer (though WWE would never have HIM of all people on their cards) is (certainly) unofficially a boss here!  Don't believe me?


Abby was (and in many ways still is) a wrestling phenomenon in Japan.  Obviously he had a... rather violent style that I would not recommend to children.  

So remember how I said I couldn't get past the first stage?

Well, you can't just shoot dear old Abby.  No.

You gotta shoot him in a very specific place... which is normal for a shmup like this.  But what IS that place?

His horribly scarred forehead.

Yes.  You have to shoot him in his already gnarled up domepiece.  But that's not all.

When you shoot it, blood comes spurting out.

Blood that you have to avoid or shoot.  ABBY HAS HEPATITIS C!! 

Meanwhile, he's charging and spitting.

Yup.



Will I be playing this again?  Absolutely!  If there is more throughout the game, then I may indeed call myself a fan.  So far, so good!



0 comments:

Post a Comment