Wednesday, February 27, 2013

Da Derp! - Space Harrier and Video Game Music

*UPDATE: Video Embed Fixed*



True story.  I  love Space Harrier.

Really.

It's a fantastic game.  Sure, like most retro titles it's a simple concept. Point and shoot and try to dodge shit coming at you.  Simple and yet extremely challenging.  I love it.

 As of recent years, video game music has been getting A LOT of respect outside our often pitiful whiny community, and for good reason.  A lot of it is truly wonderful!

However, people often tend to think of the same few games when it comes to video game music: the Marios, the Castlevanias, etc.  And while these are indeed titles worthy of praise for excellent music, that also means that a TON of other games get lost in the shuffle when it comes to video game music.

Such is the case for Space Harrier.

It was with Space Harrier that it dawned on me that I was often playing mainly to listen to the fantastic music!  I would go home after a long day at elementary school just to access the sound test on Space Harrier 3-D for the SEGA Master System.

That's why I freaked when I came across this video of the S.S.T. Band playing these Space Harrier tunes live, from Game Music Festival '91.

Incredible and supremely underrated.


0 comments:

Post a Comment