Sunday, April 28, 2013

The SADDEST MASCOT EVER... - Sledge's Gaming Journal



So, I was at a store liquidation in my local area finalizing a purchase of a complete Texas Instruments TI-994A (more on that later, no doubt).  This guy had a TON of stuff for many different formats... Nintendo, Sega, Commodore, Coleco, etc.

Being a bit of a Commodore-phile (seriously... read any random post on this site, and chances are you'll run into a Commie reference at SOME point ), I was drawn to the BOXED VIC-Modem 300 baud modem for the VIC-20, a system that has, to be completely honest, more or less eluded me for my entire retro collecting career.

I turn the box over, and the first thing that pops up to me is a word bubble that states, "INCLUDES FREE 'VICTERM' PROGRAM TAPE."  On the surface, that statement sounds completely fine.  The cassette tape is a bit of an ANCIENT storage method, but you expect that with a system as old as the VIC-20.

But what I DIDN'T expect...




It'll be ok... it'll be ok...


Was the ABSOLUTE SADDEST MASCOT THAT I HAVE EVER SEEN.



The forlorn face.



The dejected sideways glance.



The eyebrows. The corners of the mouth. EVERYTHING.


He seems SO SAD about what his life has become.


I wonder if this was a big rib from the art department at Commodore, or if they genuinely didn't realize it.




Excuse me, folks.

I have to give someone... or something a hug.


0 comments:

Post a Comment