Sunday, December 1, 2013

The White Tanooki Suit... Beneficial or Bull? - DA DERP!


By: Chris "Sledge" Douglas

There's a bit of a heated debate over Nintendo's inclusion of what could be perhaps the most game-breaking power up in recent memory... the White Tanooki Suit!

This suit has many features of the original suit from Super Mario Bros. 3, and was indeed one of my favorite suits, right before the Hammer Bros. suit, and and after the frog suit.  But Nintendo tried to do... well something different this time.  I was tipped off by this video from Mike Matei of Cinemassacre:


While I don't find myself engaged with Matei's style of review (as it often sounds too unnatural, and Mike, more so than the Nerd himself, LOVES to get juvenile with his jokes, making for a usually abhorrent viewing experience.  But this time... I MUST agree with him.

And now for a little rant.

NOTHING irritates me more in games than the developers thinking that we would be completely lost without our hands being held the entire way through.  Granted, I grew up in an era where games where much more technologically primitive, and such conveniences were not possible, but does the mainstream marketplace REALLY need this type of thing ALL THE TIME???  This thing literally acts as an invincibility suit that lasts for THE REST OF THE GAME if you choose to keep it!

I'm not against the concept of it... hell, make it a special cheat code thing.  But when the game responds to your mistakes with a "press a button to win the game" type of feature, it really makes me wonder where we are in gaming.


0 comments:

Post a Comment