Saturday, January 11, 2014

Sledge's Gaming Journal - Wet's Forced Challenges... Where to begin? (Literally!)



By: Chris "Sledge" Douglas


So I'm playing Bethesda's Wet and I'm actually liking it. The action is fun, the cutscenes are interesting, and the overall ambiance is really good. I'm not at all happy about the forced tutorials, as those are some of my biggest pet peeves in modern gaming, but I was able to finish them eventually and overall it was a forgivable offense in this case because the game is so damn fun.

However, it all came to a screeching halt in the boneyard challenge stage.

The game went from indicating everywhere you needed to be for certain events to happen, to not telling me a damn thing about where anything is. Sure, it tells me to go to the start position, but it never mentions WHERE the hell those start positions were. Even looking online at some FAQ's did nothing, as both walkthrough FAQs said NOTHING about where those starting points were.

Look, I'm all for modern games not holding our hands through the entire thing. Some games, like Arkham City, do too much of the hand holding I feel, making the game experience feel, while fun, like a guided tour of things rather than me playing a game. The intro stages to Wet seemed to indicate these in a very standard and logical manner. However, as soon as I get that boneyard stage, there is ZERO indication of anything other than where I can do some flippy doos from.

Until I can get SOME hint as to what to do, I'm gonna have to put this one down for a while, maybe to try again in, oh, maybe 2 years or so.


0 comments:

Post a Comment